Monday, October 12, 2009

Slowing Down

It's the midpoint in the semester, it's cold, it's rainy, and I'm slowing down. I'm realizing how much work I have left to accomplish in a month and a half, and I don't feel like doing it! My poor students... It doesn't help that I've been getting a lot of stomach aches lately. Hello, stress, I was hoping that you'd never return. The past few weekends, JD and I have found ourselves looking at the clock after watching a couple of movies and realizing that it's only six o'clock. What will we do with the rest of the cold, rainy day?

First, I need an attitude adjustment. Second, we need to turn up the heat. Third, I need a nap. No! I musn't give in. I realize it's just the midterm doledrums, so I try to suggest a house project for JD to work on so that he can motivate me to get some work done, but then we lay around on the couch thinking about that for a while until we agree we don't feel like it.

But today starts a new week, and I have some resolutions to get me over the semester hump. Number 1: stay busy, be productive. If I feel like sleeping, I need to leave the house and run an errand. Number 2: Remember how lucky I am to be here in this doctoral program, and I need to appreciate it. Yes, it's a lot of work, but what isn't? Number 3: Look forward to the breaks that are coming. Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner! And finally, Number 4: okay, I can't think of a number 4, but I think that numbers 1-3 will keep me busy for a while anyway.

1 comment:

Mike said...

yeah, the mid term doledrums can catch up to you. When you feel like taking a nap, instead of running an errand, run a few laps! you know me, I'll always be trying to get you guys to exercise more. But just think, exciting times are coming with the holidays and all... !!