So, as many of you know, I'm taking a class right now on Young Adult literature; it's fascinating. We have all kinds of fun homework assignments, and I wanted to share one with you to get your feedback and to hear about your experiences. The homework asked us to provide a page of description of what we were like in 9th grade. Creativity was encouraged, and there was no format requirement (poems and songs allowed). Here's mine. I'd love to hear about who you were via the comment section below.
9th Grade Julie
My freshman year of high school in Marietta, Georgia, I had long hair that I parted in the middle and refused to cut no matter how often my mom harassed me. I loved any salty foods, but mashed potatoes were my favorite food, and I hated exercise of any kind. I was completely unaware of my body. Probably trying to figure out who I was, I listened to a wide variety of music including, but not limited to, 311, Bush, Jump Little Children, Collective Soul, Incubus, Live, NSync, Third Eye Blind, and Sarah McLachlan. My favorite color was blue, and I couldn’t be persuaded out of my blue jeans. I joined the color guard team at school and regularly attended FCA to sit behind my 5-year crush. I was involved with the youth group at church, although not a member of the in-crowd, and my idea of the perfect Friday night was sleeping over at my best friend’s house, watching teen movies until the wee hours of the morning. I was very close to my family and didn’t know what “rebellion” meant. My favorite class was English and my favorite pastime reading, but my 9th grade English teacher refused to recommend me for honors English on account of my grammar skills (I waived into the honors program anyway). I loved fantasy, and the longer the book, the better. I had no plans for my future or conception of time but remained happily and naively optimistic within my circle of friends. In fact, Circle of Friends was one of my favorite movies (I loved Chris O’Donnell). I read the Christian magazine Brie and included my crush’s name on every year’s Christmas list. I loved my cat, Kitty, and hated when my friends tried to “protect” me from crude jokes. I brought my lunch to school every day: a sandwich, fruit, chips, and a dessert. I always hoped for a top locker assignment.
So, what about you?...
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment