Monday, June 15, 2009

Visits to the City

JD and I are now (happily) home from our travels to the city. JD attended a national sales meeting/training for Whirlpool in Chicago last week where he spent forteen-hour days learning about and comparing products he sells. Although he did not win one of the many laundry pairs up for grabs at the meeting, he did come home with a nice crockpot - a perk that Phillip Morris did not offer him!

Meanwhile, Emily and I traveled to Charlotte where we immersed ourselves in children's literature. I admit that I got a bit obsessed with fantasty series, attending two sessions on Harry Potter and two on Twilight. But I branched out with other sessions such as cinematic adaptations, getting a job in academics, a syllabi exchange, and several others. My paper on Wicked went well, but I didn't know what to think of the lady in the back of the room assembling dolls. Did she even realize that she was at an academic conference? Mom and Dad drove up on Friday and spent some time with Emily and I that night. They took us to the house where they lived when I was born, and they got us in trouble for hanging out on a closed floor in the hotel. Traveling via plane is never fun, but we got lucky with four on-time flights; we were paid back with four crying babies on our flights too.

It's always so nice to come home after a busy trip to a loving husband and a sweet kitty. Now, let summer begin!

No comments: