Sunday, October 7, 2012

Two Weeks in Three Parts by Dr. Pond

Part I: We Got Sick
We SERIOUSLY got sick the day after I last posted. Within twenty-four hours, all three of us had awful colds that, thirteen days later, we are still fighting. After a solid week of laying around on the couch and feeling very grumpy, we all went to the doctor to find out that Michael had a double ear infection, and JD and I both had sinus infections. No wonder we were so miserable!! It was definitely the worst illness we've had since Michael has been born.
Part II: I Got a PhD
Right in the midst of the sickness, I had my dissertation defense scheduled. So, with barely a voice, I defended. JD was in the audience, but his ears were so clogged that he said he didn't hear much. Bottom line: I passed. There were some surprises and some challenges during the hour-long event, but at the end, everything worked out for the best, and I am now officially Dr. Julia Pond. JD was enormously supportive. Even with as badly as he was feeling, he tried so hard to make the day special for me. He bought me roses and a card, and, as most of you know, he emailed many of our friends and family to share the news. Thank you so much to all of you for your kind responses. Your love and support got me through the last four years.
 Part III: We Went to A Parade
We are finally feeling better this weekend, so we got to attend the ISU Homecoming parade for the third year in a row with the Liberts. Emily joined us this year too, and even though it was cold, we had a lot of fun.




 Temperatures have plumeted, and we are beginning to get used to spending more time inside again. Michael, for instance, has been looking for some new hiding places. I am busy applying to the (few) jobs available for next year and planning some new children's lit classes that I get to teach next semester. My graduate student days may be over, but there is a lot of work still ahead. Good thing I like it.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Glad:

Part I - you got better
Part II - you passed and now a doc
Part III - you're used to the cold!
Part IV - (my part) - we'll see you soon!!